By Aruna Krishnamurthy
Read Online or Download The Working-Class Intellectual in Eighteenth- and Nineteenth-Century Britain PDF
Similar literary criticism & theory_1 books
Nineteenth-century French Realism makes a speciality of metropolitan France, with Paris as its undisputed center. via Jennifer Yee's shut studying of the nice novelists of the French realist and naturalist canon - Balzac, Flaubert, Zola, Maupassant - The Colonial Comedy finds that the colonies play a task at a distance even within the such a lot it appears metropolitan texts.
Making the case that J. G. Ballard's fictional and non-fictional writings has to be learn in the framework of Surrealism, Jeannette Baxter argues for a thorough revisioning of Ballard that takes account of the political and moral dimensions of his paintings. Ballard's appropriation of numerous Surrealist aesthetic kinds and political writings, Baxter indicates, are mobilised to contest legit narratives of postwar heritage and tradition and provide a sequence of counter-historical and counter-cultural evaluations.
The 1st global battle has given upward thrust to abundant and multifaceted literary and filmic construction like no different historic occasion. the amount surveys British literature and movie in regards to the event and reminiscence of that warfare from 1914 till this present day. It introduces style traditions and stipulations of warfare writing, and it analyses the poetics and politics of literary and filmic reminiscence of the good warfare, employing innovations from a number of theoretical traditions.
This e-book argues that the heritage of English reviews is embedded in its lecture room perform, and its perform in its historical past. a few of its foundational struggles are nonetheless being lived out this present day. English is characterised as a ‘boundary’ topic, energetic in discussion throughout a few imagined borders, specially these among educational and non-specialized readerships.
- Saul Bellow: A Literary Companion: 14 (McFarland Literary Companions)
- Fiction and the Frontiers of Knowledge in Europe, 1500–1800
- Orpheus in the Bronx: Essays on Identity, Politics, and the Freedom of Poetry (Poets On Poetry)
- The Nature of California: Race, Citizenship, and Farming since the Dust Bowl
- Annie Chartres Vivanti: Transnational Politics, Identity, and Culture (The Fairleigh Dickinson University Press Series in Italian Studies)
- Oscar Wilde's "The Picture of Dorian Gray". An analysis with Christopher Booker's "Seven Basic Plots"
Extra resources for The Working-Class Intellectual in Eighteenth- and Nineteenth-Century Britain
The Working-Class Intellectual in Eighteenth- and Nineteenth-Century Britain by Aruna Krishnamurthy