By Alison Futrell
- Draws at the phrases of eye-witnesses and individuals, in addition to depictions of the video games in mosaics and different works of art.
- Offers snapshots of “a day on the video games” and “the lifetime of a gladiator”.
- Includes a number of illustrations.
- Covers chariot-races, water pageants, naval battles and wild animal fights, in addition to gladiatorial combat.
- Combines political, social, spiritual and archaeological perspectives.
- Facilitates an in-depth realizing of this significant characteristic of historical life.
Read Online or Download The Roman Games: Historical Sources in Translation (Blackwell Sourcebooks in Ancient History) PDF
Similar history of sports books
Might be greater than the other faculties, Harvard and Yale gave shape to American intercollegiate athletics--a shape that used to be encouraged through the Oxford-Cambridge competition abroad, and that was once imitated by means of schools and universities through the usa. concentrating on the impression of those prestigious jap associations, this attention-grabbing examine lines the origins and improvement of intercollegiate athletics in the USA from the mid-nineteenth century to the early 20th century.
In 2010 allegations of an totally corrupt educational method for student-athletes emerged from the collage of North Carolina at Chapel Hill campus, domestic of the mythical Tar Heels. because the alma mater of Michael Jordan, Larry Brown, Marion Jones, Lawrence Taylor, Rashad McCants, and so forth; winner of 40 nationwide championships in six diversified activities; and a accomplice in a single of the easiest rivalries in activities, UNC–Chapel Hill is a world-famous colossus of faculty athletics.
Inoki can use his naked fists. He can use karate. this can be critical. There’s $10 million concerned. I wouldn’t pull a fraud at the public. this is often genuine. There’s no plan. The blood. The holds. The discomfort. every little thing goes to be genuine. I’m now not right here during this time of my lifestyles to come back out with a few phony motion.
Greater than the other game, cricket highlights our peculiarities and quirks, our strengths and weaknesses – wearing or differently. It welcomes all-comers, it doesn't matter what their quirks or achievements. Cricketing Allsorts celebrates these oddities and documents, and provides a full of life portrait of the sport and its gamers in all their glory and eccentricity.
- Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum (Images of America)
- The Lost Samurai School: Secrets of Mubyoshi Ryu
- The Great Expansion: The Ultimate Risk that Changed the NHL Forever
- Integrated: The Lincoln Institute, Basketball, and a Vanished Tradition
- Physical Culture and Sport in Soviet Society: Propaganda, Acculturation, and Transformation in the 1920s and 1930s (Routledge Research in Sports History)
Extra info for The Roman Games: Historical Sources in Translation (Blackwell Sourcebooks in Ancient History)
The Roman Games: Historical Sources in Translation (Blackwell Sourcebooks in Ancient History) by Alison Futrell