By Katharine Burkitt
Read or Download Literary Form as Postcolonial Critique: Epic Proportions PDF
Best literary criticism & theory_1 books
Nineteenth-century French Realism makes a speciality of metropolitan France, with Paris as its undisputed middle. via Jennifer Yee's shut studying of the good novelists of the French realist and naturalist canon - Balzac, Flaubert, Zola, Maupassant - The Colonial Comedy unearths that the colonies play a task at a distance even within the so much it seems that metropolitan texts.
Making the case that J. G. Ballard's fictional and non-fictional writings has to be learn in the framework of Surrealism, Jeannette Baxter argues for a thorough revisioning of Ballard that takes account of the political and moral dimensions of his paintings. Ballard's appropriation of numerous Surrealist aesthetic types and political writings, Baxter indicates, are mobilised to contest legit narratives of postwar historical past and tradition and supply a chain of counter-historical and counter-cultural reviews.
The 1st international conflict has given upward push to considerable and multifaceted literary and filmic creation like no different historic occasion. the quantity surveys British literature and picture concerning the event and reminiscence of that conflict from 1914 until eventually this present day. It introduces style traditions and stipulations of conflict writing, and it analyses the poetics and politics of literary and filmic reminiscence of the good battle, using options from numerous theoretical traditions.
This publication argues that the background of English experiences is embedded in its lecture room perform, and its perform in its heritage. a few of its foundational struggles are nonetheless being lived out this present day. English is characterised as a ‘boundary’ topic, energetic in discussion throughout a couple of imagined borders, in particular these among educational and non-specialized readerships.
- Perspectives on New Literatures: Postcolonial Responses
- The Routledge Introduction to African American Literature (Routledge Introductions to American Literature)
- The World, the Text, and the Indian: Global Dimensions of Native American Literature (SUNY series, Native Traces)
- Receptions of the Classics in the African Diaspora of the Hispanophone and Lusophone Worlds: Atlantis Otherwise (Black Diasporic Worlds: Origins and Evolutions from New World Slaving)
- Disease and Death in Eighteenth-Century Literature and Culture: Fashioning the Unfashionable (Palgrave Studies in Literature, Science and Medicine)
- Unfolding Irish landscapes: Tim Robinson, culture and environment
Extra info for Literary Form as Postcolonial Critique: Epic Proportions
Literary Form as Postcolonial Critique: Epic Proportions by Katharine Burkitt