By Paul Christesen,Donald G. Kyle
A better half to recreation and Spectacle in Greek and Roman Antiquity offers a sequence of essays that practice a socio-historical viewpoint to myriad features of historic activity and spectacle.
- Covers the Bronze Age to the Byzantine Empire
- Includes contributions from various overseas students with quite a few Classical antiquity specialties
- Goes past the standard concentrations on Olympia and Rome to envision game in towns and territories during the Mediterranean basin
- Features numerous illustrations, maps, end-of-chapter references, inner cross-referencing, and a close index to extend accessibility and help researchers
Read or Download A Companion to Sport and Spectacle in Greek and Roman Antiquity (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World) PDF
Similar history of sports books
Might be greater than the other schools, Harvard and Yale gave shape to American intercollegiate athletics--a shape that was once encouraged through the Oxford-Cambridge competition abroad, and that was once imitated by means of faculties and universities through the usa. concentrating on the impact of those prestigious japanese associations, this attention-grabbing learn lines the origins and improvement of intercollegiate athletics in the US from the mid-nineteenth century to the early 20th century.
In 2010 allegations of an completely corrupt educational method for student-athletes emerged from the collage of North Carolina at Chapel Hill campus, domestic of the mythical Tar Heels. because the alma mater of Michael Jordan, Larry Brown, Marion Jones, Lawrence Taylor, Rashad McCants, and so forth; winner of 40 nationwide championships in six varied activities; and a accomplice in a single of the simplest rivalries in activities, UNC–Chapel Hill is a world-famous colossus of faculty athletics.
Inoki can use his naked fists. He can use karate. this can be severe. There’s $10 million concerned. I wouldn’t pull a fraud at the public. this is often genuine. There’s no plan. The blood. The holds. The soreness. every thing goes to be genuine. I’m no longer the following during this time of my lifestyles to return out with a few phony motion.
Greater than the other recreation, cricket highlights our peculiarities and quirks, our strengths and weaknesses – wearing or in a different way. It welcomes all-comers, it doesn't matter what their quirks or achievements. Cricketing Allsorts celebrates these oddities and documents, and gives a full of life portrait of the sport and its avid gamers in all their glory and eccentricity.
- Oregon Sports Stories: History, Highlights & Reflections
- Before Wrigley Became Wrigley: The Inside Story of the First Years of the Cubs’ Home Field
- Elgin Baylor: The Man Who Changed Basketball
- Jesse Owens: A Biography (Greenwood Biographies)
- On the Hunt: The History of Deer Hunting in Wisconsin
Additional info for A Companion to Sport and Spectacle in Greek and Roman Antiquity (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World)
A Companion to Sport and Spectacle in Greek and Roman Antiquity (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World) by Paul Christesen,Donald G. Kyle